5 Reasons Why Grapeseed Oil Is The Best Lubricant To Use For Massage Therapy
Therapeutic massage therapy has many benefits, including improving blood circulation, improving muscle tone, removal of toxins, detoxifying the system, relieving stress and, perhaps most importantly, relief of pain.
There are however certain situations whether massage therapy should be avoided, such as when a patient suffers any kind of inflammation, has a fever, varicose veins, has a fever or a rash on the skin.
Therapists should be particularly careful about which lubricants are used during a massage session. Generally, all patients should be treated as if they have sensitive skins. Therefore the most widely used and recommended lubricant remains plain unscented grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil should be free of additives, dispensed from a sealed container, and stored in a dark cool place.
Even though sweet almond oil is sometimes used, the therapist should ensure that the patient does not have any allergies, especially nut allergy.
Grapeseed oil is obtained from the seeds of grapes by pressing the seeds. Ideally it should be cold pressed and organic so that its beneficial components are protected and retained. It is a light and clear oil, and has many health benefits:
• It has antiseptic and anti inflammatory properties which is effective in treating certain skin problems, such as acne, eczema and dermatitis
• It is moisturising, has anti ageing qualities, and is easily absorbed by the skin, so it alleviates dry skin, and can help to reduce stretch marks, lines and wrinkles.
• It repairs and nourishes the skin due to the nutrients such as vitamin E and linoleic acid present in the oil
• It contains antioxidants which helps to protect the body from the damages of free radicals and radiation
• It has no known side effects when used as a massage oil
Grapeseed oil is also commonly used as a carrier oil for blending many essential oils during an aromatherapy massage session.
Plain grapeseed oil however remains the natural choice and preferred lubricant for professional massage therapists.